Friday, September 22, 2006

Proposal for Political Reform

There are two basic political ideologies in our country that made sense when they were formulated two and a half centuries ago, but which make no common sense today. They are in effect the leading cause for the acrimonious political confrontations and congressional dead-locks that we have experienced since WWI, WWII, The Cold War, the debacle in Vietnam and the current insanity of poking our noses into an ancient Middle-Eastern family feud that goes back to Abraham's time.

They are:
1. One man, one vote.
2. Representational Government.


ONE MAN - ONE VOTE

As it stands now my son, who is 18 can cancel out my vote at the ballot box if he so chooses.
I am a senior citizen. I am well educated. I have mastered several crafts and business occupations. I have lived and worked around the world. For the past 25 years I have faithfully executed my duties as a husband, father and grandfather, while improving our family estate. I am also the director of a non-profit foundation that is working to further the health of the general community. With death around the corner, I have no more self-centered personal ambitions to fulfill, other than to try an make sure that the future is better than the present.

Since there are many more inexperienced voters than there are elders, and who consequently have the majority say in government, what does the future portend? As far as I can see, the political disarray of the moment can only continue unless some form of change takes place and which puts much of the decision-making, especially in foreign relations, in the hands of more experienced voters.

One more point on this before I make my proposal for mass change on Prop 1.
Every man and women over 18 has an undisputed human right to one vote. Why not every new-born? They are immediately and directly affected by political decisions and their parents should be given the regency to execute their rights at the ballot box until they become of age.

I therefore propose a multiple vote system. (MVS)

Vote 1. Registered at birth and administered by parents until 18.
Vote 2. After graduating high school or completing a trade apprenticeship.
Vote 3. Advanced degree from a recognized educational facility
Vote 4. At Age 42, after 21 years of full time occupation mastering a trade or profession.
vote 5. Sustained marriage and parenthood till the youngest child is at least 14.
Vote 6. At least 1 year international experience serving abroad.
Vote 7. Ten years volunteer community service.


REPRESENTATIVE GOVERNMENT

Congress

It no longer takes a man a week or more to ride to Washington to represent a congressional district. We have an instantaneous mass communication system. Every local or national issue can be thoroughly investigated and aired. With our votes only an electronic click away every single one of us can fully represent ourselves and our views.

I propose that the House of Congress be turned into a political museum


Political Parties

Without a Congress the party system becomes passe.


Senate

The needs of each State should continue to be represented by two Senators from each.

Personal qualifications for election to the Senate

1. Minimum age 65. (The word senator, denotes senior)
2. Gender equality: Same amount of male and female senators
3. Holder of 7 votes.


Presidency

Purely ceremonial


I believe that these common sense political changes will get our nation functioning at full efficiency and get rid of all the pork barrelling and special interest influences.
A Senate of internationally experienced elders will ensure that our world leadership role gets our planet mangement responsibilities up to full steam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All your post's are very enlightening MagnetMan, I wouldn't say I agree with all, but definitely eye-opening.
This one in particular makes the most sense to me, the MVS system you founded is as you say ‘common sense’. I’m 27 and haven’t done half of the qualifications, yet it makes sense that I shouldn’t have the same rights as someone who has done more from the list. The list itself is fair, giving everyone at least some voice, and at the same time making sure they’ve done something of value to earn a louder one.
An Elderly Senate, under these rules, presiding over the nation also would be a wise, experience driven leadership.
This political reform is an A+ for me, good job.

Anonymous said...

All your post's are very enlightening MagnetMan, I wouldn't say I agree with all, but definitely eye-opening.
This one in particular makes the most sense to me, the MVS system you founded is as you say ‘common sense’. I’m 27 and haven’t done half of the qualifications, yet it makes sense that I shouldn’t have the same rights as someone who has done more from the list. The list itself is fair, giving everyone at least some voice, and at the same time making sure they’ve done something of value to earn a louder one.
An Elderly Senate, under these rules, presiding over the nation also would be a wise, experience driven leadership.
This political reform is an A+ for me, good job.