Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Chicken-bone Mentality

After publishing my book on Psyche-Genetics I have, for the past several months been posting novel arguments taken from the book, on a number of international philosophy forums.

Each argument has challenged conventional wisdom on a wide variety of social and spiritual issues. As can be expected, I have been met with fierce resistance and an almost complete refusal to entertain any new idea that has been presented.

What has confounded me is that most of my arguments, which appeal to my own common sense do not seem to do so with others. Which leaves me in the unhappy position of thinking that either I have lost touch with reality, or the world around me has.

Let me give you an example (not from my book) of the way I think and how and why it contradicts convention beliefs - just to see if I am not a one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.

I came to America as the guest if a friend. During a barbecue at their house, I tried to feed their pet poodle with a chicken bone. At least four people rushed to wrestle it away from the dog and I was severely reprimanded.

Now everybody knows that any dog can choke on a chicken bone, but if he does, he is a greedy idiot and needs to be reminded of that fact. The more basic fact is that dogs have been eating birds for millions of years and are past masters at crunching and swallowing any kind of bone you care to name, including fish. Nature has endowed them with a powerful jaw with three times the crushing power of apes in order to do just that. They also have brains - and they know all about choking on a bone splinter and how foolish that is if it happens.

So today, throughout the length and breadth of America, tens of millions of chicken bones get thrown in the trash daily, and one of the most delectable meals a dog can sink his teeth into, sadly goes to waste.

I am still hopeful that at least one brave American will step up to the plate and rely on his own common sense to defy national convention, and feed his dog a tasty chicken bone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

word

Anonymous said...

I reposted the pertinent part of your comment to my blog, tergeist.wordpress.com , with attribution.

I seem to agree with you regarding most things; interesting because while I agree with you in he main, you will not agree with me. Good that we write about different things.

Best Regards
T

Anonymous said...

How often are the birds defeathered and baked for hours in nature?
1. Bones (all) become soft and brittle when cooked, hence the problem. Live or decaying bones still have moisture. Dogs (my example being wild coyotes) tend to ignore dried up bones in nature.

2. I've never seen a dog take care to avoid splintering, they just eat as fast as possible.

Thus, your own common sense does not seem to factor all aspects of reality.