Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Who Am I?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A contributor on another forum wrote the following:

[I really think that it's better to focus on ourselves and become super egoistic rather than think about others.
So often, focusing on the society and/or other people is the way to avoid seeing our own tendencies which we don't like and which we don't consider good/right.


I do not see self-realization the same way. I responded thus:

Conventional wisdom states that charity begins at home. As Plato said - the first ethic is to Know Thyself

The answer to why that injunction from a much revered classical philospher has never taken root in western society over the past twenty five centuries lies the core of my theory on Psyche-Genetics.

The self cannot be known in isolation.
The self can only be known in relation to another.


The larger "another" is the manifest universe. Science is doing a marvelous job getting us to know it. Nuclear theory has brought us very close to the ultimate understanding.

The more immediate other is our own social structures. Who each of us are is the result of the genetic inprints of 100,000 generations of ancestral evolution. Plato and all philopsophers since, only understood the evolution of our collective self going back a mere 250 generations to the beginning of the Iron Age. The other 99,750 generations invested in the Stone and Bronze Ages remained a mystery. It is in those primitive formative generations that the foundations of the human character was established. By going back to those Stone Age roots, studying social structures still rooted in oral traditions, I gained a more profund respect for the whole cosmic process of conscious evolution.

I found my Self, not just inside my own skin, but also among my culture, my race, my specie, my planet, my galaxy and the Cosmic source from which my consciousness originated.

We can take consciousness to the highest levels of eternally expanding degrees of self-awarness. By including all planes of existence, not just this one, this conforms to some extent with astrophysicists Big Bang/Big Crunch theory. Hindus see Cosmic Consciousness experiencing Itself via the evolving illusions of materaial manifestation. All is maya. In Greek mythology it is Narcissis staring into the mirror of his own reflection. Each Cosmic cycle spirals into ever higher degrees of self realization. God seeking to know Himself through the phantom image of Creation, born and dying and reborn eternally.
__________________

No comments: