Monday, January 05, 2009

Describing God

--you are muddling physics with philosophy. The existence of concepts like "good" and "evil" cannot be quantified by atomic theory, anymore than could notions of truth or beauty. They are in different magisteria (I assume you are familiar with NOMA?).

No I am not. Perhaps you can fill me in.
Perhaps you can also explain why physicists chose to use words like beauty, strangeness and charm to explain the attrubutes of sub-atomic particles.
In the meantime, the following is an argument I am having with an atheist on another forum. It might explain my OP more fully.


Quote:
but that's the fucking point: atheism is possible only because there's no empirical proof of God's existence. I cannot deny your personal experiences, you are right, I can only (and you should also) say that it's a matter of faith to interpret what you feel/see/experience as manifestations of God. It could be something different. You may have stopped in a comfort zone.


Okay. Now we are getting somewhere close to a useful dialogue.

I do not know who or what God is nor do not think I ever will. "God" is simply a useful terminology to explain the impression one has that a state of consciousness higher than one's own exists. We are still children in our evolution of consciousness,. IMO we are nowhere near our full sagacious potential. So we tend to think of God in terms of Mother God and Father God.



Quote:
My mother and brothers are Christian. They always talk with me about their experiences with God, and I always try to explain to them that what they call God may be somethung utterly different. Something supernatural, okay, but something different. Accepting these experiences as subjective proofs of God's existence is a matter of blind faith to me


I was asked by a women if I believe in a God external to myself.
My answer was Yes and No.
The point every God-seeker has to face, is: If one finally meets God - who then is the observer?
Who is making the evaluation?
What is the fondation of the criteria?

Trying to explain all this ( or not even being aware of the questions when contact happens) is what makes the distortions of who and what God is so universally mis-understood.

I thank God for science and its discovery of Nuclear theory. I believe it is via atomic radiation that we finally might have a methodology for melding physics with metaphsyics. Bohr and Einstein were right and wrong similtaneously.
God does and does not play dice with the Universe.
Randomness is an atribute of existence. But it is not the defining element. Heisenberg almost put his finger on it when he stated that the observer affects the observed.

Quote:
It's obvious that I may be wrong, it's obvious that I may just be blind to the evidences of the supernatural. However, as far as I see no reason to believe that my senses are wrong, or that this world offers abundant evidence for the existence of God, I remain an atheist. I would be lying to you if I said that I believe otherwise.


Of course you are not lying. Nobody was ever able to talk me out of being an atheist. I remained one until such time as I began to have experiences that could not be explained away by any of my senses. That has not led me to be able (like your mother and brother) to coherently and analytically explain the nature of my supernatural encounters with seemingly "other-world consciousness". It is like trying to explain what the color red is to a blind man. All one can really tell him is that red exists.

All I truly know that you can relate to is that I am no longer an atheist.
All I can really ask you to accept is that a condition of consciousness that is not atheism exists and that I am experiencing it.

You can call it self-delusion, comfort zone, Divine madness, whatever. Whatever it is, the condition has in no way impaired mmy analytical consciousness, or my abiilty to see and appreciate the same phsyical world you see, or not respect the laws that govern it.

In fact this opening of my third eye has made the most mundane pebble an infinitely profound object to be viewed with the deepest reverence. It is a pebble and it is not a pebble, at one and the same time. Such view has made my life magical and I not only want you to know that, I wish with all my heart for you to share it.

The other thing I am trying to share is that it requires work, special spiritual effort. It requires work to open the third eye and it requires sustained effort to keep it open.
__________________

No comments: