Saturday, January 03, 2009

Doubting Thomas

I didn't see what you were trying to say, Magnet Man.

Why do you suppose that finding God- within us or anywhere else- is something utterly important to all of us?


I was an atheist for 35 years. I remember arguing for an entire year with my father-in-law, who had just found God, what a fool he was. I sounded just like you. I have been a theist for the past forty two years. I have a normal IQ. I understand and appreciate all the advantages of science. I have worked professionally as a geologists and as a aerial surveyor. Why do you think I do not understand exactly where you are coming from? Now tell, me, honestly, what makes you think you understand life more completely than I. Can you not accept that I have come to see that there is more to human life than just its animal aspect? Where does inspiration come from? A machine?


Why do you think we all need this vain consolation? Because that's what you have found in metaphysics, a consolation, isn't it? All these uplifting words and formulae make you feel somewhat better, more important, isn't it that?

Of course it is a comforting to realize and acknowledge that there is a Consciousness higher than my own. But it is anything but vain to claim contact with it. It is a deeply humbling experience - to realize that life, even just one cell of it, and how it was created and evolved, is something far beyond anything our science can articulate.

I have a choice. Creation is by design or it is accidental. Either way its is phenomenal. Either way I don't take it for granted. Either way I pay deep respect to its existence. What is primitive or unnoble about having a devout attitude to the metaphysical aspects of existence? Why is it more intelligent to claim it is a random accident? What is the basis for that position? We have no proof either way. Is mine not a more positive attitude? Why poke thoughtless gibes at me? I do not do that to you. The reason I do not and you do is because you have not yet tried hard enough to see the metaphsyical side of life, while I have tried both. That extra experience and all the years of effort required to attain it, has given me a greater sense of compassion about the difficulties of attaining a holistic understanding of our reason for being. You have been in complete denial from beginning to end, You have not made a single inspirational post that would get me to suspect you hold a secret to life that I know nothing about. Your view, to put it bluntly, is simply mundane. I shared it too, once......


I just don't know why yoy must think that these concepts say anything at all to an atheist like me, or to anyone else on this board (with the exception of the Christians and their alike, of course).

The impulse to share Divine knowledge cannot be throttled. It bursts out of the throat. Its just like any scientist jumping out of the bath and running naked through the streets shouting "Eureka! I found it!" It is human nature to share both the good and the bad news. What you do with it is your business. Nobody is forcing you to respond to these posts. Why are you doing it - if it was not from some hidden spiritual curiosity? And why can you not at least acknowledge that you are curious. I post on international philosophical forums not just for you, but for all who read and comment on them. Who is to say that some of what metaphysicians like myself post does not plant some seed in a formerly doubting mind?

No comments: